Amended Alumni New Constitution
CONSTITUTION RULES OF OF PERSATUAN ALUMNI ST. ANTHONY’S TELUK INTAN, KUALA LUMPUR
(AS AMENDED AT THE EGM HELD ON 19-8-2023 )
The Association shall be known as the
PERSATUAN ALUMNI ST.ANTHONY’S TELUK INTAN ,KUALA LUMPUR
hereinafter referred as " The Association ”.
2. Place of Business
of business and postal address of the Association shall be
No: 14, Jalan 63C, Off Pahang Barat Pekeliling Business Centre, 53000 Kuala Lumpur or at such other place as may from time to time be decided by the General Committee. The place of business and postal address of the Association shall not be changed without the prior approval of the Registrar of Societies.
3. Flags, Symbols, Badges Or Other Insignia.
The colour of the Association would be green and white.
4. Aims and Objects
a) To promote closer ties between the former students and the Alma Mater
b) To create a bond between the old students and teachers
c) To hold functions where the formerstudents can interact amongst themselves
d) To promote charitable, educational, sports and social activities for benefit of the Alma Mater and its current students.
e) To undertake activities which would benefit the Alma Mater and the community in general.
f) If and when the need arises to raise monies through the setting up of a special fund ( Special Fund) or by way of organizing any events or any other means for the purposes of meeting the aims and objects of the Association and generally for the benefit and maintenance of the School and the students.
g) To purchase, take on lease or otherwise occupy or acquire any land or building which may be requisite for the purposes connected with any of the objects of the Association or to lease, sell, charge or dispose of same or any part thereof.
(a) Membership shall be opened to all former students of SRJK and SMJK ST.ANTHONY’S TELUK INTAN above the age of eighteen years.
(b) Every application for membership shall be made in writing and signed by the candidate (either physically or digitally). Such application shall be in such form as the General Committee shall from time to time prescribe or made available in the Association’s website www.anthonian.org.my. The application form shall be accompanied by the Membership Fee together with such other payments or due fixed by the General Committee.
(c) The General Committee has the absolute discretion to reject any application and is not obliged to assign any reason for its doing so.
(d) There shall be only one category of membership i.e. Ordinary Member. The General Committee may include other categories as and when the need arises.
6. Entrance Fees, Subscriptions and other dues.
a) There shall be a one-off Membership Fee of Ringgit Malaysia Ten Only and there shall not be any monthly or annual fees charged. The Membership Fee can be reviewed from time to time by way of a resolution passed at any general meeting.
7. Annual General Meeting
(1) The supreme authority of the Association is vested in a general meeting of the Association. At least twice the total number of General committee members must be present at a general meeting for its proceedings to be valid and to constitute a quorum.The annual general meeting can by held on a physical (face to face) basis or by zoom or any other multimedia or social media platforms to be decided by the General Committee. Attendance at the annual general meeting can also be physical or by zoom or any other multimedia or social media platforms.
(2) Voting by proxy shall not be allowed.
(3) If half an hour after the time appointed for the meeting a quorum is not present, the meeting shall be postponed to a date (not exceeding 30 days) to be decided by the General Committee; and if a quorum is not present half an hour after the time appointed for the postponed meeting, the members present shall have the power to proceed with the business of the day but shall not have the power to alter the rules of the Association.
(4) The annual general meeting of the Association shall be held as soon as possible after the close of each financial year but not later than June on a date and a time and place to be decided by the General Committee. The business of the annual general meeting shall be:-
(a) To discuss the matters arising from the minutes of the previous annual general meeting;
(b) To receive the General Committee’s report on the activities of the Association during the previous year.
(c) To receive and, if approved, pass the audited accounts and the Treasurers’ report for the previous year.
(d) To elect biennially a General Committee and to appoint auditors for the ensuing years.
(e) To transact any other business of which due notice shall have been given
(5) Notice of every general meeting and agenda shall be posted by the Secretary in the Association’s website at least …30 …… days before the meeting. Such notice shall be accompanied by a copies of General Committee’s annual report, Minutes of the previous annual general meeting and audited accounts of previous year. These documents would be also be made available during the annual general meeting..
(6) An extraordinary general meeting of the Association (EGM) shall be convened:-
(a) Whenever the General Committee deems it desirable; or
(b) At the joint request in writing of not less than twice the number of General Committee members, stating the objects and reasons for such meeting.
(7) An extraordinary general meeting requisitioned by members shall be convened for a date within thirty days of the receipt of such requisition together with the the requisition fee of RM500 to defray the cost of having the meeting.. An EGM shall not be convened within the specified time above if the requisition fee is not paid.
(8) If within 30 days of receipt of the requisition and the fee, the General Committee does not proceed to cause a meeting to be held, the requisitionists may themselves call for the meeting.
(9) Notice and agenda for an extraordinary general meeting shall be posted to the Association’s website at least fifteen days before the date fixed for the meeting.
(10) Paragraphs 7 (1) , 7 (2) and 7 (3) of this rules regarding the quorum and the postponement of an annual general meeting shall apply also to an extraordinary general meeting, but with the provision that if no quorum is present after half an hour from the time appointed for a postponed extraordinary general meeting requisitioned by the members, the meeting shall be cancelled, and no extraordinary general meeting shall be requisitioned for the same purpose until after the lapse of at least six months from the date thereof.
8. General Committee
(1) A general committee consisting of the following, who shall be termed the office-bearers of the Association, shall be elected at the annual general meeting:-
An Assistant Secretary
4 Ordinary General Committee Members
(2) All office-bearers of the Association and every officer performing executive functions in the Association shall be Malaysian citizens and above 18 years of age.
(3) Names for the above officers in paragraph (1) shall be proposed and seconded and election will be by a simple majority vote of the members at the annual general meeting. All the office-bearers shall be eligible for re-election biennially. .
(4) The function of the General Committee is to organize and supervise the day-to-day activities of the Association and to make decisions on matters affecting its running within the general policy laid down by the general meeting. The General Committee shall not act contrary to the expressed wishes of the general meeting without prior reference to it and shall always remain subordinate to the general meeting. The General Committee shall be empowered to establish special funds or organize events to raise monies for the purposes as set out in Clause 4 hereof. It shall furnish a report at the annual general meeting of its activities during the previous year.
(5) The General Committee shall meet at least once every three months, a seven (7).. days notice of each meeting shall be given to the members. The President acting alone, or not less than three of its members acting together may call for a meeting of the General Committee to be held at any time. At least one half of the General Committee members must be present for its proceedings to be valid and to constitute a quorum. Minutes of the General Committee meetings shall be taken and circulated to the members of the General Committee at least five (5) days before the next General Committee meeting.
(6) Where any urgent matter requiring the approval of the General Committee arises and it is not possible to convene a meeting, the Secretary may obtain such approval by means of a circular letter through e-mail. The following conditions must be fulfilled before a decision of the General Committee is deemed to have been obtained:-
(a) The issue must be clearly set out in the circular and forwarded to all members of the General Committee;
(b) At least one-half of the members of the General Committee must indicate whether they are in favour or against the proposal; and
(c) The decision must be by a majority vote.
Any decision obtained by circular letter shall be reported by the Secretary to the next General Committee meeting and recorded in the minutes thereof.
(7) The General Committee shall have the power to co-opt two(2) former students into the Committee for any special purpose or project undertaken by the Association but subject to the duration of the special purpose or project.
(8) The General Committee may appoint any sub-committee for any purpose arising out of or connected with any of the duties, functions and aims laid down under the rules. Any former students can become members of these sub-committee.
9. Resignation & Termination
(1) Any General Committee member who wishes to resign from the Associtaion shall give two weeks’ notice in writing to the Secretary or President
(2) Any member of the General Committee who fails to attend three consecutive meetings of the General Committee without satisfactory explanation shall be deemed to have resigned from the General Committee.
(3) The General Committee may suspend or dismiss any Committee member for neglect of duty, dishonesty, incompetence, refusal to carry out the decisions of the General Committee, or for any other reason which it deems good and sufficient in the interest of the Association
(4) The General Committee shall have the right to appoint any former student to replace the Committee member who has resigned or is suspended or dismissed to fill the vacancy until the next election of office bearers at the annual general meeting.
10. Duties of Office-Bearers
(1) The President shall during his term of office preside at all general meetings, all meetings of the General Committee and shall be responsible for the proper conduct of all such meetings. He shall have the casting vote.
(2) He shall, in conjunction with the Secretary and/or Treasurer sign all cheques on behalf of the Association.
(3) The Vice-president shall deputize for the President during the latter’s absence
(4) The Secreatary shall conduct the business of the Association in accordance with the rules, and shall carry out the instructions of the general meeting and of the General Committee. He shall be responsible for conducting all correspondence and keeping all books, documents, minutes and paper except the accounts and financial records, He shall attend all meetings and record all proceedings. He shall in conjunction with the President and/or the Treasurer sign all cheques on behalf of the Association. He shall file the annual returns within 60 days from the date of the annual general meeting to the Registrar of Societies.
(5) The Assistant Secretary shall assist the Secretary in carrying out his duties and shall act for him in his absence.
(6) The Treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the Association. He shall keep the accounts of all its financial transactions and shall be responsible for the correctness. He shall in conjunction with the President and/or the Secretary sign all cheques on behalf of the Association.
(7) The Ordinary General Committee Members shall carry out such duties as directed by the President or General Committee.
11. Financial Provisions
(1) The General Committee shall cause proper books of accounts to be kept in respect of all sums of moneys received and expended by the Association and the matters in respect of which such receipts and expenditure take place;
(2) At the commencement of each financial year the Treasurer shall prepare the income and expenditure including capital expenditure, budget for the following financial year to be approved by the General Committee at the first meeting at the beginning of every year. Once approved the General Committee shall ensure that the expenditure is within the budget and the monies available in any Special Funds, if any. No expenditure in excess of the approved amounts in the budget shall be incurred except in an emergency or in exceptional circumstances to be decided by the General Committee.
(3) Subject to the Clause 11(2) above, the funds of the Association shall be expended for the purpose necessary for the carrying out of its objectives, including the expenses of its office-bearers in carrying out their duties hereunder, and for general administration and audit purposes, but they shall on no account be used to pay the personal expenses of the General Committee members or members of the Association or for any purposes unrelated the objectives of the Association.
The Treasurer may hold a petty cash advance not
exceeding RM250.00…… (Ringgit
(5) There shall be two (2) signatories for all cheques and other banking documents in respect of the Association’s bank account. The signatories shall be the Treasurer and the President or the Secretary.
(6) The Treasurer shall have the authority to settle any amount less than Ringgit Two Hundred Fifty ( RM250.00) only for expenditure incurred pertaining to the Association without the prior approval of the General Committee. Any such expenditure must be reported at the next General Committee meeting to be held so that such expenditure can be ratifed by the General Committee members.
(7) As soon as possible after the end of each financial year, a statement of receipts and payments and a balance sheet for the year shall be prepared by the Treasurer and audited by the Auditors appointed. The Treasurer shall present an annual Treasurer’s Report and the audited accounts for approval at every annual general meeting of the Association. The Treasurer’s Report and the audited accounts shall include the income and expenditure and the financial status of any existing Special Funds, if any, established by the Association in furtherance of Clause 4(f) hereof.
(8) The financial year of the Association shall commence on the 1st January and end on the 31st December every year.
(1) Two persons, who shall not be office-bearers of the Association , shall be appointed biennially, by the annual general meeting as Honorary Auditors. They shall hold office for two years and may be reappointed.
(2) The Auditors shall be required to audit the accounts of the Association for the year and sign the audited accounts which would be presented for approval during the annual general meeting
13. Trustee (new provision)
(1) This Clause shall apply if the Association acquires immovable properties in the future and if required and approved at the annual general meeting from time to time.
(2) Three Trustees, who must be over 21 years of age and Malaysian citizens, may be appointed if required and shall hold office during the pleasure of the Association. They shall be vested in them all immovable properties whatsoever belonging to the Association upon execution of a Deed of Trust.
(3) The Trustees shall not sell, withdraw or transfer any of the property of the Association without the consent and authority of a general meeting of members.
(4) A Trustee may be removed from office by a general meeting on the grounds that, owing to ill health, unsoundness of mind, absence from the country or for any other reasons, he is unable to perform his duties or unable to do so satisfactorily. In the event of the death, resignation or removal of a trustee the vacancy shall be filled by a new Trustee appointed by a general meeting.
(1) Between annual general meetings the General Committee shall interpret the rules of the Association and when necessary, determine any point on which the rules are silent.
(2) Except where they are contrary to or inconsistent with the policy previously laid down by the general meeting, the decisions of the General Committee shall be binding on all members of the Association unless and until countermanded by a resolution of a general meeting.
15. Advisor / Patron
The General Committee shall if it deems fit and necessary appoint qualified persons to be the Advisor or Patron of the Association . The person appointed must give his consent in writing.
16. Expulsion of Members for Misconduct (new provision)
1. The General Committee may terminate the membership of any member by notice in writing whose conduct is in its opinion injurious to the interests of the Association or renders him unfit to associate with members of the Association.
2. In addition to Clause 16(1) the membership of any member of the Association can be terminated or will be cease (but not limited to):
(a) if he/she forms any rival association or club to compete with or to mislead present students, former students and teachers and the school administration that the newly form associaton or club is the legitimate association or club representing the former students;
(b) in the event of his/her death;
(c) if he/she is adjudicated a bankrupt;
(d) if he/she is convicted of any offence which in the opinion of the General Committee renders him unfit to associate with the members of the Association;
(1) None of the following games shall be played in the premises of the Association: Roulette, Lotto, Fan Tan, Poh, Peh Bin, Belankai, Pai Kau, Tau Ngau, Tien Ngau, Tien Kow, Chap Ji Kee, Sam Cheong, Twenty One, Thirty One, Ten and a half, all games of dice, bankers’ games, all video games and all games of mere chance.
(2) Neither the Association nor its members shall attempt to restrict or in any other manner interfere with the trade or prices or engage in any Trade Union activities as defined in the Trade Union Act, 1959..
(3) The Associationshall not hold any lottery, whether confined to its members or not, in the name of the Association , its office-bearers or members without prior approval from the authorities concerned.
(4) "Benefits” as mentioned under section 2 of the Societies Act 1966 shall not be given by the Association to any of its members.
18. Amendments of Rules.
These Rules shall not be amended except by resolution of a general meeting. Such amendments shall take effect from the date of their approval by the Registrar of Societies. Any amendment to the rules shall be forwarded to the Registrar of Societies within 60 days of being passed by the general meeting.
(1) The Association may be voluntarily dissolved by a resolution of in the annual general meeting.
(2) In the event of the Association being dissolved as provided above, the General Committee shall ensure that all debts and liabilities legally incurred on its behalf shall be fully discharged, and the remaining funds shall be disposed of in such manner as may be decided upon by a general meeting.
(3) Notice of dissolution shall be forwarded to the Registrar of Societies within 14 days of its dissolution.